Welcome to A²!

Welcome to A²!

Monday, October 17, 2016

Is our world real?

There is a very interesting and controversial hypothesis floating around scientific minds: is our world all a computer simulation? I personally, don't believe we are simulated, but there are some interesting reasons that people think this. The more we learn about the universe, the more mathematical we realize it is. The article "Are We Living In a Computer Simulation?" Discusses the simulation theory. There are many scientists that believe that our world may be real. In fact, they think there's a 50/50 chance that this theory is true. In this article, there is a quote from James Gates, a theoretical physicist at the University of Maryland. He said "I was driven to error-correcting codes - they're what make browsers work. So why were they in the equations I was studying about quarks and electrons and supersymmetry? This brought me to the stark realization that I could no longer say people like Max are crazy." The Max he is referring to is Max Tegmark, a cosmologist at MIT. He believes in the simulation theory. Basically, as we are finding out more about our world, we are finding out that basically everything could have been coded, because it is so rigid and mathematical. I personally find this theory hard to believe. It could be possible, and I understand why scientists believe it, but I honestly just have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that it is possible, because why would a programmer make 7 billion people and try to stay in control of all of them? It seems a little far fetched. I understand that our world is mathematical, but to me, that does not mean it was programmed on a computer. Although people who are way smarter than me believe in this theory, I just can't say that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment